- Corn starch
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- Grape leaves (about 30)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 500gr (1lb) minced beef meat
- 2 Lemons
- Fresh parsley
- 1 onion (large)
Category : Meat|
Rating : 4
1. Chop onion, parsley and dill and place in a large bowl.
2. Add the rice, 1 egg yolk, 3 teaspoons of freshly squized lemon juice, salt and pepper to the bowl.
3. Add the minced meat and knead everything together.
4. Boil the grape leaves for approximately 1 minute, until they soften up a bit (do not overboil).
5. Take spoonfuls of the mixed ingredients and place on top of each leaf, folding it over the mixture so as to seal it in completely.
6. Once you have all the dolmades ready, use a large pot and melt some butter in it. Place the dolmades on the bottom.
7. Add 3 cups of water in the pot, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
8. While the dolmades are cooking, make some avgolemono sauce to serve them with. (wait about 60 to 90 minutes before starting this phase).
9. Separate the white of an egg (but keep the yolk) and mix it in a bowl, using a whisk with 1 teaspoon of water.
10. Add the yolk and keep mixing.
11. In a different bowl add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 5 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix together then add it to egg mix.
12. Take 2 teaspoons of broth from the pot where the dolmades are cooking and mix them with the egg and lemon mix.
13. After the dolmades are ready remove them and place them in a serving platter. Add the egg/lemon mixture to the remaining broth in the pot and mix together.
14. Pour the mixture over the dolmades and serve.