- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1.5kg (3 lb) tomatoes
- 750gr (1.5 lb) large dried beans (Fassolia Gigantes)
- Dried Thyme
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 3 medium onions
Category : Vegetable Dishes|
Rating : 4
1. Place beans in a large bowl covered with water and leave them overnight to soak.
2. Drain the water and place them in a large saucepan filled with water.
3. Boil the beans in the pan for 30 to 35 minutes but take care not to allow them to become too soft. (they need to be soft when pierced with a fork but hard enough that they wont break apart).
4. Drain the beans and set them aside in a bowl.
5. Chop and quash the tomates in a large bowl.
6. Chop onions, garlic and saute them (in olive oil) in the large saucepan that you used to boil the beans in, while the onions are being sauted sprinkle some oregano and thyme over them,
7. When the onions are golden brown and soft, pour in the tomatoes and 1/3 cup of boiling water in the saucepan.
8. Add the tomato paste and dilute it in the mixture my stiring it with a spoon.
9. Add salt and pepper and cover the saucepan allowing it to cook over a medium heat for 30 minutes when the sauce shoould be thicker (if the sauce thickens faster than that - then remove from heat.).
10. Pour the beans and some chpped parsley in the saucepan and mix well together.
11. Pour the whole mixture in a deep baking pan and place in preheated oven at 180C (350 F) for 45 minutes.