- Slivered almonds (optional)
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups apricots
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 Eggs
- 6 tablespoons Cognac
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 4 dried figs
- 220gr (1/2 lb) unsalted butter
Category : Desserts|
Rating : 5
1. Using an electric mixer beat the butter until light and fluffy and gradually add the sugar, 1 egg and an egg yolk, and 3 tablespoons of the Cognac, beating thoroughly after each addition.
2. Sift 2 cups of the flour with the salt and baking powder and add slowly to the batter, while beating on medium speed.
3. Finish the dough by hand, adding only enough flour to make a soft dough.
4. Knead, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, slice the apricots into small pieces and place in an pan.
6. Soak the figs and raisins in the remaining Cognac until swollen.
7. Mince and add to the apricots along with the orange rind, jam, and lemon juice and stir into the apricot mixture.
8. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
9. Let it cool.
10. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and set aside about one-third for the latticed top.
11. Using your fingers (the dough will be too soft to roll), press the larger portion of dough into a buttered 9 x 12 x 2-inch baking pan, pressing evenly about 1/4-inch up the sides.
12. Pour the filling into the dough-lined pan.
13. Divide the remaining dough into walnut-sized balls and roll each ball into 1/2-inch strips.
14. Using the strips, make a lattice over the top of the pastry.
15. Bake in a moderate oven 180 C (350 F). for about 45 minutes, or until golden.
16. Remove and cool in the pan.
17. Cut into small squares and serve.