- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 2 tteaspoons brandy
- Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter melted & cooled
- Cooking oil for deep frying
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Category : Desserts|
Rating : 5
1. In a bowl beat egg yolks and egg at high speed about 4 minutes or until thick and lemon-coloured.
2. Stir in the butter, orange peel, orange juice, brandy and lemon juice.
3. Stir together 2 cups of the flour and the baking powder and stir into egg mixture.
4. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can mix using a spoon.
5. On a lightly floured surface knead in remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
6. Continue kneading till dough is smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes.
7. Divide dough into quarters.
8. Cover and leave standing for 10 minutes.
9. Roll each quarter into squares.
10. If dough is difficult to roll, cover and let rest for a few more minutes.
11. Cut dough into squares.
12. Drop one square into hot oil.
13. Twist dough while cooking.
14. Continue cooking until browned, turning once.
15. Transfer to paper towel.
16. Repeat with remaining dough squares.
17. Keep the diples in closed container.
18. Before serving, combine honey and water in saucepan and heat (do not boil).
19. Pour the syrup over the diples and sprinkle with cinnamon and walnuts.
Note : Makes about 60 diples.