- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 piece cinnamon bark
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cloves (Garifalo)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 thin strip of lemon rind
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup coarsely ground almonds
- 1.5 cup water
- 1 cup coarsely ground walnuts
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 500gr (1 lb) Kataifi pastry
Category : Desserts|
Rating : 5
1. Mix together walnuts, almonds, caster sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ reaspoon ground cloves, 1 lightly beaten egg white and 1 teaspoon of brandy to create the nut filling and set aside.
2. Take a small handful of pastry strands and spread out fairly compactly on kitchen board.
3. Have strands running towards and brush with melted butter.
4. Mould a tablespoon of nut filling and place on one end.
5. Roll up firmly into a neat roll and place in baking dish.
6. Place kataifi rolls close together.
7. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
8. Brush top with the remaining melted butter.
9. Bake in a moderate oven 180 C (350 F). for 50-55 minutes until golden brown.
10. While kataifi is baking, dissolve the sugar in water over heat in a small sauce pan.
11. Add the lemon juice and rind, cloves and cinnamon.
12. Bring to the boil and boil over medium heat for 10 minutes.
13. Stir in the honey,
14. Strain and cool.
15. Pour cooled syrup over hot pastries and place a folded cloth on top.
16. Leave until cool and then cut each roll into 5 pieces diagonally if preferred.
Note : Makes about 30 rolls.