- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2.5 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3.5 cups of sugar
- 220gr (1/2 lb) Blanched almonds finely chopped
- 220gr (1/2 lb) Walnuts finely chopped
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 700gr (1.5 lb) (Phylo) pastry sheets
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 450gr (1 lb) unsalted butter - (melted)
Category : Desserts|
Rating : 5
1. In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, almonds, 1/2 cup sugar, ground cinnamon, and ground cloves.
2. Unroll the (phylo) pastry sheets on a flat surface and keep it covered with a damp towel to keep it from drying out.
3. Remove 8 filo sheets, fold, cover and refrigerate for the top layer.
4. Using a pastry brush, brush a 15.5 by 11.5 by 3-inch baking pan with some of the melted butter.
5. Lay a filo sheet on the bottom of the pan, brush with butter, and repeat with 7 more sheets.
6. Sprinkle part of the nut mixture over the top filo sheet.
7. Layer 3 more filo sheets, brushing each with butter, and sprinkle again with the nut mixture.
8. Repeat until all the filo sheets and nuts are used, brushing each sheet with butter.
9. Finish with the reserved 8 sheets of filo for the top layer.
10. Preheat the oven to 150 C. degrees.
11. Using a sharp knife, cut the baklava into small diamonds or squares.
12. Heat the remaining butter until it bubbles and pour it over the top of the pastry.
13. Bake for 80 minutes or until golden. Pour the cooled syrup over the baklava and let it cool before serving.
Directions for Syrup
1. In a saucepan combine 3 cups of sugar, water, honey, lemon juice cinnamon stick and whole cloves.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the cinnamon stick and cloves,
5. Cool to room temperature.