- 1 packet (Phyllo) Pastry Sheets
- 3/4 cup Finely Chopped Walnuts
- 1 cup Honey
- 3/4 cup Finely Chopped Pistachios
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 5 whole Cloves
- 2 cup Chopped Blanched Almonds (lightly toasted)
- 1 3/4 cup Water
- 2 1/2 cup Sugar
- 550gr (1.25 lb) Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Orange
- 1 Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Superfine Sugar
Category : Desserts|
Rating : 4
1. Combine nuts, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
2. Brush a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan well with butter.
3. Separate 25 phyllo sheets from package. Place under a damp towel to prevent drying.
4. Place one phyllo sheet in pan trimming to fit.
5. Brush with melted butter.
6. Repeat with 4 more phylo sheets.
7. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the nut mixture.
8. Repeat this procedure two more times, ending with phyllo.
9. Drizzle any remaining butter over top.
10. Bake in the oven at 180 C (280 F) for about 1-1/2 hours or until golden brown.
11. Remove baklava from oven.
12. Using a sharp knife, immediately cut in to squares or diamonds.
13. Pour the cooled syrup over the hot baklava.
Directions for Syrup
1. Combine sugar, water, orange and lemon rinds, cloves and cinnamon stick in saucepan.
2. Bring to boil. Simmer, uncovered for about 5 minutes to thicken syrup slightly.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Discard orange and lemon rinds, cloves and cinnamon stick.
5. Stir in honey and let it cool.